In today’s interconnected world, the field of telecommunications plays a pivotal role in enabling global communication and connectivity. As technology continues to advance at a rapid pace, professionals with specialized knowledge in this domain are in high demand. If you are seeking to enhance your expertise and career prospects in the field of telecommunications, the University of Moratuwa’s Postgraduate Diploma/M.Sc. in Telecommunications program offers an excellent opportunity. In this article, we will explore the program’s eligibility requirements, curriculum, and the invaluable benefits it offers to aspiring telecommunications professionals.
The University of Moratuwa’s program welcomes applicants who meet the following eligibility criteria:
a) Hold a B.Sc. Engineering degree from the University of Moratuwa in a relevant field, or
b) Possess an Engineering degree from another recognized institution, judged to be equivalent to the University of Moratuwa’s degree by the faculty and approved by the Senate, or
c) Have a minimum of three years’ full-time degree from a recognized university, specializing in a relevant field, and at least one year of experience in the field after graduation, as determined by the faculty and approved by the Senate, and successful performance in the placement examination, or
d) Possess a professional qualification from a recognized professional institute in a relevant field, along with a minimum of one year of appropriate experience post-qualification. The acceptance of the professional qualification, recognition of the institute, and relevancy of the field will be assessed by the faculty and approved by the Senate.
The M.Sc. in Telecommunications program can be pursued in two formats: part-time or full-time.
- Part-Time Program: This program spans six terms (two years). The first three terms cover the core components of the program, with classes held on weekends at the University. Successful completion of these three terms, including examinations, leads to the award of a Postgraduate Diploma. Candidates who meet the eligibility requirements for the M.Sc. will undertake a research project during the subsequent three terms, culminating in the award of the M.Sc. degree upon successful completion.
- Full-Time Program: Candidates also have the option to complete the M.Sc. program in one year on a full-time basis. In this accelerated track, the first-year and second-year coursework will be carried out simultaneously, allowing students to obtain their degree in a shorter duration.
The curriculum of the Postgraduate Diploma/M.Sc. in Telecommunications program at the University of Moratuwa is designed to provide a comprehensive understanding of various aspects of the field. Here are some of the key areas covered:
- Wireless Communications and Networks
- Network Planning, Design & Management
- Network Security
- Emerging Technologies
- Optical Communications & Networks
- Microwave Systems
- Statistical Learning & Pattern Recognition
- Digital Communications
- Broadband Wireless Systems
- Signal Analysis
- Applied Information Theory
- Decision Theory (Optimization)
- Advanced Stochastic Processes
- Telecom. Technology Management, Policy, Regulatory and Business Aspects
Benefits of the Program:
- Specialized Knowledge: The program equips students with in-depth knowledge and skills in telecommunications, empowering them to excel in a rapidly evolving industry. By studying emerging technologies, network security, wireless communications, and other relevant areas, graduates gain a competitive edge in the job market.
- Flexible Learning Options: The availability of both part-time and full-time study modes allows individuals to pursue the program while managing personal and professional commitments.
- Industry-Relevant Curriculum: The curriculum is regularly updated to align with industry trends and technological advancements. This ensures that students are equipped with the latest knowledge and skills demanded by employers.
- Research Opportunities: The program offers a research component where students can undertake a research project in their area of interest. This provides an opportunity to contribute to the field through innovative research and potentially make significant advancements in telecommunications.
- Networking and Collaboration: Studying at the University of Moratuwa allows students to connect and collaborate with fellow professionals, faculty members, and industry experts. These networking opportunities can lead to valuable connections, mentorship, and potential job opportunities.
- Recognition and Accreditation: The University of Moratuwa is a prestigious institution known for its excellence in engineering and telecommunications education. Graduating from this program enhances your professional credibility and opens doors to a wide range of career opportunities both locally and internationally.
Tuition Fees and Application Process:
The Postgraduate Diploma tuition fee is Rs. 375,000.00, while the M.Sc. fee for the second year is Rs. 125,000.00. Interested applicants can access application forms and further details on the program’s official website (https://www.ent.mrt.ac.lk/msc-telecom). Completed applications should be submitted by post to the Course Coordinator, along with the required documents as specified in the application form. The closing date for applications is 9th July 2023.
Interviews and placement exams for relevant applicants will be held on the 23rd July 2023 (Sunday) morning. The program is scheduled to commence in November 2023.